September 3, 2019
If it’s your first time buying a home, the entire real estate process can be overwhelming in itself. Then you have to think about another necessary item: homeowner’s insurance. We’ve got some helpful tips to make the process of finding the right insurance for your first home easier. Take a look!
Tips for Buying Homeowner’s Insurance for Your First Home
- Don’t wait until the last minute. Putting off homeowner’s insurance until the last steps of the home-buying process is a recipe for disaster. It requires more than just signing some paperwork, and you’re going to want to do some research first ti find out what coverage you will need for your new home.
- Get a home inspection. This one may be a no-brainer, as you’re potentially going to spend a lot of money purchasing a home and you surely want the home to be in good shape before making such a large investment. However, you can get ideas from your home inspection on how your house can be improved in ways that will make you eligible for homeowner’s insurance discounts.
- Ask your agent about additional coverage. Things like flood and sewer damages are not commonly covered in your average homeowner’s insurance policy. Additional liability coverage may need to be added to your policy as well. Talking with your insurance agent about any extra coverage you should have is vital to protecting your home and your family.
- Understand how to file a claim. Having homeowner’s insurance is great, but if you find yourself in an unfortunate situation with your home and need to file an insurance claim, not knowing how to go through the process will only slow you down in getting the compensation you need to fix the damage.
- Bundle and save. You can get discounted rates and lower premiums when you purchase multiple insurance policies from one company. Have auto insurance? Ask your homeowner’s insurance agent if they can save you money if you relinquish your current auto policy and bundle it with your homeowner’s insurance.
Looking for Homeowner’s Insurance in Maryland?
American Heritage Insurance Agency offers homeowner’s insurance for 1st-time homebuyers and other Maryland residents looking for coverage in any of the following areas:
- Worker’s Compensation
- Drones & more!